Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Are you the parent of a high school student?

If so, how likely would you be to buy a cell phone for your child that comes equipped with a program that you can use to lock your child's cell phone during certain times - for instance, during school hours and designated study times? Use a 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being not at all likely and 10 being very likely.Are you the parent of a high school student?
10. Basically, I do that now. The phone gets turned off at 10 pm, and if I see any activity on the bill after 10 pm on a school night, she loses the phone for a week. And I have told her that if her phone gets confiscated at school for being used at school, as far as I'm concerned, it's GONE -- I will not go and get it out of jail!Are you the parent of a high school student?
1. Her school doesn't permit them to use their cell phones during class time, and they can only check their phones at their lockers during class-not that it stops them from sneaking them to class anyway. But as long as my daughter is not letting cell phone usuage affect her performance in school, then I would not lock her phone.


The only time I would do that would be if she was constantly getting it confiscated and/or letting it distract her. But even then, I teach at her school, so I would probably just ground her from her phone, because it's not like she can't speak to me at anytime if there's an ';emergency'; anyway.
I'm not, however I do have a relevant experience. My high school had half a mile between buildings, and there were four buildings and we had classes in all of them-- 6 a day. One time I stayed after class to get help from my teacher, so when I had to walk between there wasn't anyone else outside and I tripped and hurt myself when I fell. Security could have missed me, I could have been lying there for an hour until next passing time before anyone found me. Because I had my cell with me I was able to call the office to get them to send security out to come get me and carry me back into the building. I think that it depends greatly on the circumstances at your child's high school.





This would also be a time (less important for class, but for study time) where YOU can't reach them any easier than they can reach anyone else. And also a time, depending on how the lock works, that they can't call 911. This is going out on a limb here, but what if they were abducted at the bus stop? That actually did happen a few towns over once. She couldn't call 911 until school was out.





If you don't want her to use the phone I don't know why you'd give it to her. Let her have it when she's going out and keep it the rest of the time, this just seems like too much hassle.
I guess it depends on how much that phone costs. I am NOT gonna pay more for my teenager's phone than I paid for my own. And can I use this phone on a prepaid plan, because my teenager will never be on a shared plan with me, and I am certianly NOT signing a contract on my teenagers phone.





I also feel that if they cant use the phone responsibly, they dont need it at all, so unless it was a feature that just came on cheeper phones, I would never pay for something like that.
we have handy phones here - you can only use them for talking, not for games, texting, internet, pictures anything... and they're not the old fashioned ones either, they're very modern and stuff. and they are the cheapest in the country i think...
My son has a cell phone, he's 14 years old. I don't believe in using any ';locks'; or anything like that and I believe that you should just trust your son/daughter to make the smartest choice and take their own responsibility...
10+





I monitor the bill pretty closely though and any calls or texts during school time are grounds for them loosing the phone. I also make sure they don't take the phones with them when they go to bed.





Wow, I sound like a mean Mom!!
ITS ATTITUDES LIKE THAT WHICH MAKE KIDS MORE AMPED TO GO AHEAD AND DO WHAT THEY WANT. EXPLAIN THE RULES TO YOUR KID AND IF THEY DONT FOLLOW GET RID OF THE PHONE FOR AWHILE. BUT DONT DO WHAT MAMA BEAR SAID. I CAN PERSONALLY TELL YOU THAT, THAT DONES NOT WORK.
1. Her school doesn't allow cell phone use during classes anyway.
1 - she has a phone %26amp; knows how to use it responsibly. If she didn't, we would help her learn, not just do it for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment