Thursday, May 13, 2010

Single Parents.. What did you say when your child asks why his other parent isn't around?

My son hasn't asked yet but I know it will come one day and am hoping to get some insight on how to handle it.Single Parents.. What did you say when your child asks why his other parent isn't around?
My mother refused to speak about it. On one I hand, I never directly asked. On the other, the reason I didnt ask is because it was clear that it was not to be spoken about.





In defense of my mom, I was conceived during rape, so I understand her unwillingness to talk about it. However, I wish soo much that she could have said something about it.





I never really missed having a dad. My uncles served as surrogate father figures, although it was in a more distant way. As I got older and more of my friends' parents were divorcing, I really didnt miss having a dad, because I never had to worry about my family breaking up. And as I watched some of their parents completly drop out of their life, I was even more glad I would never have to deal with that.





I did wonder about it though. Who was my dad? I was 23 before I knew for sure how my mom got pregnant (although she still wont talk about it with me, it was her husband that confirmed it) and probably in my very late teens before I realized that was probably what happened. I grew up wondering if it was a Scarlette Letter thing. Sometimes I still wish that was what happened.





I was 15 when my mom met her husband (who I do not see as a parent figure). To my knowledge she never saw anyone else, although I know it would be naive of me to believe she didnt.. I was young and dont know that I would have known about it if she were.





After that long story..... Tell him the truth as much as you can without killing his hopes. I guess depending on what happened, keep what you tell him age appropriate. Telling a 6 year old daddy isnt around because he raped mommy is a bad idea. But how much you do tell him and when is a personal decision, and should be judged by his maturity at the time he asks. Try to be as comfortable as you can be when talking about it. I wanted soo many times to just ask my mom, and now I wish she could talk to me about it, but its still an unspoken event. Just knowing would have been better than wondering.Single Parents.. What did you say when your child asks why his other parent isn't around?
They don't ask. They do not have a father (thats another story) and so they don't expect anyone to be around.


Be honest with the child to a point. Just explain that there are all types of families, some with mums and dads, some with one parent, some kids just have grandparents that care for them, others foster parents. I do not know your story why the other parent is not there tho so that is the best advice I can give
you don't tell me how old your son is and why the parent is not around, divorce or death. if divorce than whatever you do don't badmouth the other parent no matter what kind of a person the other parent is. It will only backfire and turn the child against you. The child will find out what kind of a person the other parent is all on his own. Just tell the truth, mommy and daddy love you very much but could no longer get along (or whatever) don't ever let the child think it is his fault. If it is death, there are childrens books about that. I am divorced and never said anything bad about my ex, my daugter found out what he is like all on her own. Death I have no expericne with
what my mom used to tell me, was the truth, but in a way i could understand at the time. im glad that she never lied though, it made me feel special, lol, in a way, because i felt if she could tell me the truth, i could trust her and tell her the truth as well. That's probably the number one thing. Don't lie, just tell your son the truth in a smaller version and maybe in less detail, just to make it easier to understand.
Maybe you could say that (partner) is in the military or that his job requires (them) to travel all the time and they could not get a job doing anything else





but I believe that eventually you should tell them the truth (no offense)
I have always told my children the truth and explained it to the best of my ability depending on the age of the child. In my opinion when you tell the truth they accept that and go on like its normal.
My Mum just told me the truth, she and my dad just weren't together and weren't in love, but they're still friends.
Whatever the truth is... i guess. i don't have to explain anything for a couple more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment