Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are my rights as a parent at my child's in home daycare?

I pulled my son out of his in home daycare when I found out that his daycare provider was putting him on a ';big-boy'; swing. My son is 18 months old...WAY too young to be put on a big swing. She claimed that he kept saying, ';UP! UP!'; so she kept swinging him higher. My son's version of ';up'; is pick me up, as most kids his age too, I'm sure. If my son let go in the air, he could have come down %26amp; broken his neck, paralyzing himself or even worse, been killed. It was unacceptable behavior on her part! There have been a few other things as well that my husband and I were concerned about, but this put it over the edge. Anyway, I never took my son back to her since that day. I told her that I wasn't going to %26amp; now all of a sudden today I received a bill in the mail requesting two weeks of pay since she states that I signed something that I agreed to give her two weeks notice (which I did) %26amp; since I didn't give her notice, I owe her these 2 weeks. Help me! What are my rights?What are my rights as a parent at my child's in home daycare?
You signed it, you must pay.





Did yopu tell her he wasn't allowed on the swing? Because that seems quite overprotective. Did she walk away and leave him there?What are my rights as a parent at my child's in home daycare?
I have an in home daycare and if you did sign a contract stating this then she will have a copy. Have her show it to you. If there is no copy than you are not binded to pay this bill. You can also report her to your local DHS about the concern about the care your child recieved. You can do this and remain completly anonomous. They will have 24hrs to comply with your complaint. You also have the right to go to DHS and look at any daycare's file and know if they have any complaints against them. This will help you in choosing a different provider for your child. I hope this helps.-Good luck
I pulled my child from a daycare as well. She hated it and didn't have words for all that she hated.. but some of the things she said horiffied me. Everytime we drive by there she hisses like a cat... lol. She doesn't even like to look at the building! I didnt' have to pay for two weeks, but I think that you can play dirty by saying that you will keep quiet and pay for what she babysat or you can tell her that you will file for an inspection for neglect if she insists taht you pay. Kinda bribe her that way.
If I pulled my child out for something I wasn't comfortable with....I would not pay those two weeks. I would pay only for the time my kid was there. She may get the money from me eventually-but she would have to jump though hoops to get it. If she is bugging you on two weeks pay-I don't think she will fork up the money to take you to court or collections. Maybe it is wrong-but I wouldn't pay it.





I own a dance studio, and let me tell you-I have people who owe me money. Unless it is over a $1000 it isn't worth even bothering with. I send them to collections-but in the end-I still do not get my money. SO, I really don't think she will pursue it. She may send you threatening letters about taking you to court or collections-but I doubt she will. Good Luck! OH, and 18 months is WAY TOO young to be on a big boy swing. I am in total agreement!
I agree with your choice to pull your kid if there were other issues too. I wouldn't pay her either, do you remember what it said about giving two weeks? Because if you felt your child was in danger than that should void the 2 weeks notice. That's what I think. What is the worst she can do? How many people don't pay? A lot, and two weeks is not a lot of wage to really fight about. She will probably give up eventually, stick to your guns once you decide.
You signed the contract, you owe the two weeks fee.
You saw your child in danger, is enough. Send her a certified letter stating what you saw and why your son is not going back. And that you don't owe her a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment