Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is it legal for a public school to show a rated ';R'; movie with parent's written permission?

I have a friend that is upset that her daughter's class (8th grade) will be showing the movie ';The Patriot';. They sent home permission slips for all of the kids. She had someone else tell her it was illegal to show a movie with that rating, and I thought I would try to find out. It's in Ohio. Anyone know?Is it legal for a public school to show a rated ';R'; movie with parent's written permission?
I live in Ohio, but sorry don't know. With permission slips the school most likely covered their behinds.


Personally I don't see the need to show R rated movies in class. Schools whine about the moral decline and behavior of the students and then instead of setting a good example some teachers try to see what all they can get away with.Is it legal for a public school to show a rated ';R'; movie with parent's written permission?
I live in Canada..and they used to show us R rated movies. Students had to get permission slips signed...if parents didn't approve..and alternate assignment would be issued.
This is one of my favorite movies and I use to show it to 8th graders all the time....But times have changed. There is always someone out there on a crusade against one thing or another. The only reason this is R rated is because of the bloody reality of the conflict. Oh, and one reference to part of the male anatomy as ';Balls';. (The kids loved that part.) There is nothing wrong with showing this a young teenager....One complaint however, took this great film off my shelf forever. It's a real shame. I'm not allowed to show it anymore.
I live in Wisconsin, and I know for a fact that as long as every parent signs a permission slip allowing the student to watch said movie (and are completely aware what the rating of the movie is) then it is perfectly legal to show the movie to children of this age, as long as the teacher is in the room with the students for the entire duration of the movie. There is nothing in out laws that says it is illegal, this is just the school policy on the matter.





I've done some research for you on Ohio State's Public Schooling Laws. There is nothing that prohibits the viewing of this movie, but the policy of the school the students attend. I hope that this helps.
If they sent home permission slips, then typically they're fine. If you're friend didn't want her child to watch it (though why not, I don't know, because it's an AMAZING movie), then the teacher would send the child to the library, most likely, with an alternate assignment that would cover the same material. It's not illegal, it's just that most schools tend to frown upon it because of ratings.
If they sent out permission slips then they are covered. But I don't know what they will do if someone doesn't want their child to watch it? Just not show it over one person?
With parents permission I would not see a problem, but I am not up on Ohio law either.





Agree with ';Casper'; above...do not see the 'need' to show R rated movies in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment