Thursday, January 21, 2010

If you have children, did you always know that you wanted to be a parent?

I was just curious because when I was younger I thought I wanted children of my own. Now that I'm getting older (29), I'm not really sure that I want children. I think I've felt this way though for about the last 6 years or so. I'm just wondering if I'll end up changing my mind and wanting a child one day. I love children, but I just don't have the longing to have my own. Any thoughts?If you have children, did you always know that you wanted to be a parent?
I NEVER wanted children. I never thought about it as a girl. It's a lot of responsibilty not to mention a crap shoot. I mean, what if you get a bad egg?





When my BF of 4 years told me he wanted kids, I nearly broke up. That's a deal breaker. I was surprised at how strongly I reacted and went to therapy to try and understand myself better. I still did not want kids, though.





Here's the kicker. It's 3 years later and now my BF is my husband and we have a 5 month old boy. I love him and being a parent is great. But I am NOT having another one!


What happened to change my mind? I guess I just decided that my husband is a good man and would be an excellent dad. We both have great families and I can be a stay at home mom. Still, my friends think that me having an offspring is a sure sign of the apocolypse. haha





If you don't want kids, then don't have them. People don't understand that sometimes, a young, pretty, smart girl has other options than just mommyhood.





Travel. Be free. Be a good auntie or godmother to someone elses kids. Enjoy your life.If you have children, did you always know that you wanted to be a parent?
ever since i was a very little girl i wanted to be a mom and i was a tomboy ! i can't tell you how many ppl have told me i was born to be a mom including my own mother who isn't that thrilled about having kids. i can't think of anything more rewarding and more of a blessing that a child, all mine are grown the youngest 21 but i can tell you they are the best, most precious blessings i have ever had and if there is nothing else in this world that i have ever done good then i can say i did something wonderful in having those 3.





but too i have to be honest with you, some ppl just are not cut out to be parents, its not bad you don't want kids, just different. and it would be a huge mistake to have kids just because you feel your 'biological' clock ticking or you think you should because of pressure from family and friends. just do what you feel you need to do and all will be fine.
NO when I was younger I always said I didn't want kids, and I didn't like them, but when I found out I was pregnant right away I changed for some reason and was so excited, now I have to and thinking of more.........
i allways wanted kids. I knew i would be father one day and i am now
im 29 and pregant with my 1st, i was not planning on a child and then i said if i ever get pregnant i wanted to b4 i get to old so now i am and im going to make the best out of it
I always wanted kids, but I figured I'd take a quick work break around 40 to get married and have a few kids (ha! The ideas of a teenager!). I ended up dating a wonderful guy in highschool and getting pregnant as a teen (and married him) I'm now 28 and expecting #4 and wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes what you think you want is the polar opposite of what will make you happy. I'm so glad that at 40 my eldest will be 21 instead of a newborn!
Yes. I always wanted children. Now that I have a girl who's a year old, I want another baby for not only her but for me!! Good luck!!
I always knew I wanted kids, and wanting kids helped me make the decision to get married as well.





When I was younger, I hated kids. Then slowly, I started to watch kids and I found out thinking they were really cute. Then after 911, I felt sooooooooooo lonely because I had no one to share my hurt and anger and frustration with. I knew I had to get married and have kids, so I'd always have someone there.





I think what you're going through is something of the opposite of me. That's fine. I think world events (like 911) and local events (friends getting married, friends having kids, etc.) have an impact on all of us. And those influences are causing you to sway certain ways. We'll see where you sway next, but never worry! Cuz right now you feel independent and you're loving your independence and you can give love to kids around you that are not your own.





Good luck sorting things out!
When I was younger, like under 15, I always thought I would make a good parent and have a good family. But after I hit 15, I realized I didn't like children that much and was never going to have them.





I still feel this way, and I'm 19. I don't want kids, and I won't change my mind about it, unlike some people who would predict your future. I can really hope that there are some girls out there who doesn't want children and won't change their mind. It might be impossible since there are lots of teen pregnancies thes days, which scares me.
I aways played the mommy while playing house when I was young.So I guess Yea I always wanted my 3 kids.I had them in my 20s ,my kids are adult with children of their own now.I love having the close relationship.I say we had to grow up together,Yea times were hard but my kids are in careers and collage now.I did the best I was able too.I have No regrets having my children!!!
sometimes wantinga child will dependon the situation you are in. Once you are married and stable and he wants them you will go back to wanting them. You can be feeling you dont want them or that it will be ok if you donthave them because you are feeling its getting too late and you can see them in the future.





Yes ive always wanted to have kids and I have them and love every minute of it.
I was the total opposite of you. When I was younger I did not want children at all. Then one day when I was 24 I ended up getting baby fever. I for some reason wanted to have children. I am so glad that, that happened to me because now I have two beautiful children. But to answer your question no I did not always want to have children.
No. Actually I was always much too terrified of taking care of another life. Also, I'm one of those people that exercises constantly and tries to keep in shape and I was afraid I would get huge. LOL


Well, Both of my girls were *Oopsies!!* and crazy enough, I was thrilled on the inside when getting this news. although, my kids weren't planned I treat them as if I wanted them since I was born. lol My family is the biggest part of my life and I'm so proud of the young ladies that my children are becoming. They have definitely full filled me in ways I couldn't have been otherwise.


Now- I DO NOT want any more kids. Well, unless I get pregnant, then I would be singing a different tune. ha ha!





Edited to add: I love Big City's answer. That sounds like me kind of!

No comments:

Post a Comment