Thursday, January 21, 2010

How can you be considered a good parent if you think creationism should be taught in schools?

The educational law states that there should be a separation of church and state in a public school setting. A good parent who desires educational foundations in creationism has the option to send their child to a private religious institution or homeschool. A good parent will provide an unbiased view of the world, and will foster a positive learning environment. A good parent does not push his/her personal religious beliefs onto everyone else.How can you be considered a good parent if you think creationism should be taught in schools?
The label “good parent” is going to be subjective, and also based on many factors. While I think creationism is an affront to science (as is intelligent design), I don’t think that should be the sole criteria for judging one’s parenting abilities.


For example, Parent A has several children, and he teaches them that creationism is correct and that evolution is a lie. He is doing them a disservice. However, let’s say his children are all healthy, well-nourished, he spends lots of quality time with them, and gives them the encouragement they need to succeed in life. If all those things are the case, I would regard him as a good parent, even though he is misleading his children in the science category.


How can you be considered a good parent if you think creationism should be taught in schools?
I think I am an excellent parent and I want my daughter to learn about creationism not just in school, but at home first and foremost. I am active in her school, in fact I just sent the teacher an email saying I would assist on picture day. I am active in her extra curricular activities. I am active with her friends. I want to be the parent that knows what is going on in her child life. Learning about creation is as much a part of history as learning about slavery. Should we not teach that because we don't want white children to think they might be better than black children? Of course not.

No comments:

Post a Comment